What is a cookie?
Cookies are small text files stored in the computer while the user is browsing. The utility of cookies is to record the user’s browsing activity. Although a lot of people do not know, but cookies are being used for 20 years, when the first browsers appeared for the World Wide Web.
What is NOT a cookie?
It is not a virus, trojan, worm, spam, spyware and neither a pop-up opener.
What kind information record a cookie?
Cookies do not used to record “sensitive” information about you, as credit cards, bank data, photos, your ID card, or any personal information. Cookies record technical data as personal preferences, personalized content, etc.
Web server do not associate you as a person, but your web browser does. In fact, if you usually surf with Internet Explorer and you try to surf at the same website with Firefox or Chrome, you will see the web do not realize it is you, because it is associating the browser, not the person.
What kind of cookies exist?
- Technical Cookies: are the most important and they allow, among other things, to know when a human is surfing or an automated app does, or when an anonymous user or a registered one surf, and also they do basic tasks to the operation of any dynamic website.
- Analytic Cookies: they record information about the type of browsing it is being used, the most used sections, consulted product, time zone, language, etc.
- Advertising cookies: they show advertising according to your browser, your country, your language, etc.
What are first-party cookies and third-party cookies?
First-party cookies are created by the website you visit, and third-party cookies are created by services or external suppliers as Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
What will happen if I deactivate cookies?
For you to understand the extent of deactivate cookies we show you some examples:
- You could not share the content of this website on Facebook, Twitter or any social network.
- The website could not convert the content to your personal preference, as it used to happen with shop online.
- You could not access to personal area of this website, as for instance, my account, my profile or my orders.
- Shop online: It would be impossible online shopping, they will have to be by phone or visiting the shop if it exists.
- You could not write on the blog, you could not upload photos, publish or write comments, or evaluate content. The website will not know if you are a human or an automated app that publish spam.
- The advertising could not be showed, what will reduce advertising revenue of the website.
Can cookies be deleted?
Yes. As well as to delete them, you can also block them in a general or particular way for a specific domain. To delete cookies from a website you should click “Settings” on your browser and you can find cookies associated to the domain you want, and proceed to delete them.
Cookies settings on Chrome
Below, we indicate how to access to a determinate cookie on Chrome. Note: this steps could change depending on the browser.
- Open chrome, at the top right, click Settings.
- You will see different options, click Show Advanced Settings.
- In the “Privacy” section, click Content Settings.
- Under “Cookies,” click All Cookies and Site Data.
- A list will appear with all cookies organized by domain. For an easier search of cookies from a determinate domain, write the direction on the field “Look for”.
- After make this filter it will appear on the screen one, or more lines with cookies of the demanded website. Now, you just have to select them and click “Delete”.
Cookies settings for other browser
To access cookies settings of Internet Explorer browser:
- Click the Tools button, Internet options.
- Click the Privacy tab.
- Move the slider to adjust the level of privacy you want.
To access cookies settings on Firefox.
- Click the menu button and choose Preferences.
- Click the Privacy tab.
- Click History, and choose Use custom settings for history.
- You will see the option “Accept cookies”, you can enable or disable cookies according to your preferences.
To access cookies settings on Safari OS X:
- Click Preferences and then click Privacy.
- There, you will see the option “Block cookies” to adjust the type of block you want to use.
To access cookies settings for android:
- Open the Browser, click Menu and then click Settings.
- Click Security and Privacy, you will see the option “Accept cookies” to enable or disable switch.
To access cookies settings for Windows Phone devices.
- Open Internet Explorer, click More and then click Settings.
- Now you can enable or disable the switch of cookies.